Thursday, April 7, 2016

On autism and disability: Bill and Chris Davis of "Far from the Tree"



If you've talked to me about philanthropy and causes, you know there is a special place in my heart for those on the autism spectrum.  This video, part of a series from Andrew Solomon's new book "Far From the Tree," really touched me. The relationship between this father and his son, who faces so many chalenges, is truly inspiring.

When I think of parents of children with autism, I think of middle class, plain-Jane white folks.  Obviously, I know that's not the case.  Autism affects every walk of life, every race, and every economic status.  Maybe I default to that mental image because that's what I am, and that is what everyone I know with an autistic child to be. The people I encountered a Kennedy Kreiger, the therapists, the doctors-- that is what they all were.  I need to be better at shifting MY thought process to be more aware of the widespread affects of this condition.

Here, we see this father-- who seems as though he's a hardened, no-nonsense kind of guy-- who so clearly has dedicated everything in his power to helping his son not just survive, but live life.  I am so moved (ok, I'm actually over here crying) by how intensely  he love this boy. This boy who is violent, self harming, and frustrated.  This child who he has had to fight for every. step. of. the. way.  Because that's how it goes when you've got a special needs child; no road is easy.  Every day is a fight.

This father's love, patience, and true selflessness are traits that I can only hope to imitate in my own life.  Remind me the next time I'm complaining.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!