Friday, March 13, 2015

What I've Learned from 7 Months in Solo Practice



Starting a solo practice, especially as a young attorney, is terrifying.  There is so much to do, every single decision is yours, and on top of practicing law, you're running a business.  It feels like malpractice suits are around every corner, and you've got the Bar Ethics Hotline on speed dial.  

I started my practice in August, and haven't looked back.  Some days are definitely harder than others, and some weeks are less-lucrative than others.  However, I am truly happy doing what I do.

I'm by no means an expert at running a solo practice. However, I've learned a lot and can say that I'm doing alright.  I've compiled a list of some helpful things I've learned in my first 7 months of practice.  I hope these little tidbits can help some other "SmallLaw" practitioners.



Take advantage of free resources.  
     Law books are expensive.  That's no big surprise.  I dream of the day I can purchase the entire Virginia CLE Library for my office.  However, that isn't going to happen any time soon.  In the meantime, I go to my alma mater to read, research, and make cheap copies (and sometimes take advantage of the forms/ CD materials in the back of books).
     
     Your local university law library is a great place to do work-- it's quiet, the law librarians can point you in the right direction, and you can literally SEE how far you've come from your time as a 1L.  Plus, there is usually free coffee somewhere around the school (thanks LexisNexis!) or at least a cafe nearby.

     Free CLEs are also a great way to save money. Instead of paying for expensive courses that may or may not be useful in practice, try volunteering for free law clinics.  They usually are in the format of a free CLE, where they show you how to do a simple legal task such as writing a will or filling out paperwork for a gender marker change, followed by a community clinic where you put into practice the skills you just learned.  You can develop many marketable skills through CLE clinics, and you get to help the community at the same time. Find these clinics through local bar associations and Pro Bono calendars. 
   
   4FreeCLE is another great resource that sends out weekly emails with free CLEs.

Invest in a good printer.

The basic version of my printer. It
might just be the love of my life.
     Buying a nice printer was one of the BEST things I did for myself.  It is wireless, scans documents directly to my computer, and scans and prints duplex, I can email it to print things remotely, it connects to my Google Drive, and basically does everything except make me coffee (new feature, HP??).  

      When I'm super stressed and in crunch time mode, having a printer I don't have to fight with makes the difference between getting my documents mailed on time or chasing the post office van before they make their final pickup.  You're going to have 10,000 other things going on at any given moment, and a finicky printer does NOT need to be one of them.

      Another plus to a great printer is that you can print envelopes, legal sized documents, and letterhead, which translates into money saved. I print all my own letterhead and correspondence envelopes.

      I got my HP 8600 printer off of Amazon.  It was on super-sale, which means I got a $500 printer for $180, because it was "last year's model." I also purchased the additional paper tray, which means I can use one tray for "nice paper" and the other for copier paper.

Find your Niche.

This may be the most important tip in building your client base.  

      There are a ton of lawyers out there.  We know that.  Your job is to differentiate yourself.  When people have an issue in your practice area, you want them to immediately think of your name.

      The best way I've learned to do this is by carving out a narrow niche. Become an expert on SOMETHING.  At this point in your career, it won't be a big area-- you won't become an expert in Employment Law in a month. However, you can cram your brain full of everything there is to know about "advising small businesses with less than three employees." You won't be able to master all of Family Law, but you can focus on "divorce in families where one member isn't a U.S. citizen" or "divorce involving same-sex couples."  

      Narrowing your niche is helpful in two ways.  First, it makes you memorable.  You're not just another family law attorney-- you have a specialty. The conversation will likely turn to you, and you'll get to explain your practice.  Second, you become the first line of thought when that issue-- or a similar issue-- presents itself to that person.  If it's a non-attorney, think of how many friends they have that might need your services. If your niche is anywhere NEAR what that potential client needs, they will call.  If it's an attorney (especially an established one!) they likely get lots of clients calling with matters they can't/ don't want to handle.  When a potential client needs representation for her divorce from her Chilean husband and calls a Personal Injury attorney , guess what?  That attorney will say, "I don't do that, but I can refer you to someone who does!" You get the benefits of the work that attorney put into their marketing and advertising without spending a dime because YOU are the person they thought of. 

      "But I don't want to limit myself!" you might think.  "I'm broke, I need money, and I need all the business I can get!"  Believe me, I completely understand.  I've been there.  In fact, some days, I'm STILL there (special shout out to the first of the month when my rents are both due!).  I'm not saying you can't take a myriad of cases-- heck, I bill myself as a strictly transnational attorney, and I took a case that easily could have gone to court. What I'm saying is that by being the "go to" person for a specific type of issue, you put yourself in a position that will separate you from "the pack" of the many other eager, highly skilled attorneys, many of which boast more experience than you.

Go to every event.

      My Facebook is constantly erupting with event RSVPs.  My friends always know where I am because I'm always in their news feeds-- I imagine it to look something like "Caroline is attending EVERY EVENT in the metropolitan area!"

    Going to these events is what has connected me to my community.  I've landed some of my best clients and speaking gigs simply by showing up and chatting.  Being in the "right place at the right time" is a philosophy I believe in 110%, but for it to work, you have to drag yourself out of your comfort zone.

      While I feel bad about being "that girl" on Facebook, events are one of the main ways I've built my practice.  I meet as many people as possible, tell them my niche (see above) and make it stick, and give them my card.  I break the "scary lawyer" mold and treat them like a person.  I differentiate myself.  Then, in a few months, I get a call or referral from them. It probably happens with 1 in every 15 people I really get to know at events.  

Which leads us to....

Never stop making friends.

      I hate the word "networking" so much. It seems so impersonal and sterile.  That's not the way I develop business.  For me, I have found that friends are much more effective in helping grow your business than people you meet at an awkward networking event.  This doesn't mean I don't think you should go to those events-- read "Go to every event" above if you're confused. I just think you need to look at networking differently. 

      When I go to events, I try to make at least 3 friends by the time I leave.  It's a slow process, I will admit, but the results prove to be much more successful than traditional "networking."  Instead of buzzing around meeting as many people as I can, I spend time really getting to know a few people. I want them to know me, and I want them to like me. 
     By the time I leave, I should feel comfortable calling them (which is huge for me, because I hate the phone).  I'll follow up via email, and keep the lines of communication open.  I'll think of them when I read an article that relates to their business.  And hopefully, they'll think of me when they or a colleague need help with legal issues.




SmallLaw attorneys, what would you add to this list? 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!