Thursday, March 27, 2014

Stop the Slut Shaming: A Federal Judge on Women dressing like 'Ignorant Sluts'

Yesterday, I shared a link via Facebook via Slate about how "Female lawyers who are dressing too sexy are apparently a 'huge problem' in the courtroom."  My mother sent it to me.  As a female who attended law school in Richmond, VA, I am quite familiar with the standards of dress required by many judges.  In Richmond, as a woman, you are told that you MUST wear a skirt to court.  No pants.  And while I hate pants with a burning passion, I can't help but feel upset that I am expected to wear skirts only.  However, it isn't something that really bothers me.  The article on Slate, however, ruffled my feathers enough to share it on Facebook, and exchange in a dialogue with many of my peers.  *Sigh* we thought.  Another day, another hurdle for women to dodge.
Then this blog post came out in response.

I bet Alicia never had to deal with this crap.
Federal Judge Richard Kopf, a George H.W. Bush appointee to a federal court in Nebraska, decided to voice his opinion on the matter in an "effort to educate the bar."


He used inflammatory language and stories about his own daughters to illustrate his point that women who dress a certain way in the courtroom are being judged on our "ample chests" and are "truly upset[ting]" the female law clerks.

I do agree with him that the courtoom "isn't about[us]" as lawyers. It's about the client. Dress professionally, and look like a lawyer. But that's not where my issue lies.

I have more of an issue with the tone he takes with female lawyers.
Someone forgot to tell Elle that her cleavage is showing.
With just about as much respect as I can muster, your honor, how about, instead of calling young female lawyers "ignorant sluts" and making the rather sexist assertion that the "female law clerks" are the only ones judging, you stop being a self proclaimed "dirty old man?" 
You are a father of two daughters.  How would you feel if someone called your daughter a slut?  I am sure your children are well educated and probably very well rounded.  How would you feel if after years of education and hundreds of thousands of dollars, someone called them "ignorant?"
It's time to change the way we talk to women.
Stop the slut shaming. 
I guarantee you that these women are, in fact, extremely intelligent.  They are probably wearing short suits or tight skirts.  Maybe they are showing a bit of cleavage.  MAYBE THEY ARE PROUD OF THEIR BODIES and PROUD THAT THEY ARE WOMEN.  It's not anyone's place to say, except for the client.  And is it really anyone's business if they are "slutty"-- which, as a woman, means having multiple sexual partners-- or not?  I think not.
Let's stop talking about what women are wearing, and more about the culture we live in, where even Federal Judges are slut shaming.  Let's talk about how still, women are blamed for enticing men by their clothing.  Men are still "victimized" by the feminine wiles of women showing their curves, which were given by God himself. 
Let's change things.  Stop blaming women. Stop calling us sluts.  Be the change.

2 comments:

  1. Well put. The problem is a deep-seated mindset that sexuality is a taboo, and most of this particular style of bullshittery stems from that. The good news is that the people who have these attitudes are slowly dying out, and being replaced by folks who are more liberally minded and open.

    I won't say that there are no standards of decorum in any environment (even my super-casual office has limits on what folks can and can't wear), but there's a difference between maintaining a desired standard and slut-shaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. Well put, Erin. Well put.

    ReplyDelete