Friday, June 28, 2013

Skinny Studying

I've been a big fan of smoothies for a while now.  Until recently, though, I hadn't been supercharging them.  What does that mean?  Adding hidden good-for-you junk that I don't eat on it's own.  And I have almost perfected the art of hiding the taste.

I like to prep a bunch of ingredients at once by cutting the fruit and putting them in bags.  I usually do this while watching some sort of trash TV.  Then I freeze them all up and have them for the week/ 2 weeks/ etc!

  • I have been buying frozen mixed berries, because they are cheaper than fresh (at least I have found)
  • I buy fresh pineapple, kiwi, sometimes blueberries, chopped kale, and watermelon
  • Peaches go either way depending on the time of year-- whatever is cheapest at the moment is the winner for me!
Clearly, my freezer is packed.

 I then use almond milk and sometimes 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt as my liquid.


Here is a recipe for one of my favorite smoothie recipes to date. It's my go-to when I need a mid-day pre-workout post-study snack that leaves me feeling like attacking these Barbri problems is a piece-o-cake.

YUMMO! Look at that color!

Ingredients:

  1. three handfulls frozen mixed berries
  2. 3 tablespoons frozen chopped kale
  3. 8 1-inch chunks frozen pineapple
  4. 1/3 cup almond milk
Directions:
Throw that stuff in a blender.  Blend the hell out of it and enjoy!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!