Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Law School Hummus

Ok.  I know very few grad students (or 20-somethings in general) that dislike hummus.  Its a great source of all kinds of good nutrients to help you keep cranking-- the good fats, protein, carbs-- and it's just plain yummy.  But it can be so expensive!  And law students are so poor!  So.....drumroll please:

I invented/merged a few recipes to make my very own version of hummus for very cheap!  And-- because I love sharing-- I am sharing it with YOU.  All of these measurements are estimates-- I am a big "dash of this" kind of cook.  Also, if you are out of any of the spices, don't worry-- just use whatever you have.  This is a "whatever is lurking in my cabinet" kind of thing. NOW, Without further ado, DIY Law School Brain Pump Hummus:

2/3 can Garbanzo beans/chickpeas
3 tablespoons plain low fat yogurt
2 tablespoons EVOO
1 clove garlic, chopped into chunks
1/2 tablespoon lime juice
2 tsp parsley
2 tsp garlic powder
1tsp curry
1tsp tumeric
salt and pepper

  1. Drain most of the water out of the chickpeas.  Pour chickpeas into food processor, with a splash (about 1/4 cup) of water from the can.
  2. Add EVOO, Yogurt, lime juice, and garlic into the food processor. 
  3. BLEND THAT STUFF.  Blend it until it's a puree.  Then blend it/food process it some more.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients.  KEEP BLENDING! It should be smooth and kind of creamy.
  5. Add salt and pepper to taste :)
Oh yeaaah you (and your brain) can thank me later...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!